Monday 21 July 2008

Memories of Cornwall [part one]

We recently got home after a wonderful week on holiday in Devon and Cornwall. The last time I was in Cornwall was at my grandmother's funeral. Ugh! I loved my grandparents so much. I was close to my Nanny Roone in particular. And I still miss her. Their home hasn't changed much over the years as my aunt still lives there, and so that made it even more poignant walking through the front door. I cried as I walked into the kitchen wanting my Nan to just be there at the sink scraping potatoes or putting on another cup of tea.

Land's End

I recovered from my emotional trip down memory lane and after a nice visit with my aunt we drove on to our cottage we rented for the week. It was at the most southern point of England and overlooked the Atlantic ocean. To get there, we had to drive through a farm and onwards down a dirt track. Carefully. Slowly. Willing various cows and bulls to move out of the way so we could continue. But no, they were stubborn. They took their time to move. Sure enough though we suddenly came out at the end of the track track and out onto the edge of the cliff where we were hit with the most stunning views of the Atlantic ocean.

The Lizard (most southern point of England)
View from the front of our cottage overlooking the Atlantic.


180 degree views. All around us. Craggy rocks. Cliffs. Beautiful flora and fauna everywhere. Deep blue sapphire of the ocean glinted at us as the sun shone high in the sky. Stunning. Jaw dropping. I've been to some wonderful places in the world including the Caribbean, USA and Scandinavia. All beautiful in their own right but this was something different.

We pulled up to the cottage, got out of the car and just stood there. Not a sound. You could hear a pin drop. Even the sea gulls were quiet. Rising up, catching the wind and soaring above the cliffs. We stood there for what seemed like an eternity.

Abandoned life boat station at The Lizard

It set the scene for the rest of the week. Every place we visited stunned us with its beauty. I'd somehow forgotten over the years just how scenic Cornwall is. How blue the sea is. The sea was so blue. So turquoise. So clear. Amazingly beautiful.

Mullion Cove

Today was spent sorting out all the photos we took and sending them to get printed. I also got caught up on all the washing and managed to get out into the sunshine for half hour this afternoon. Making the most of the sun in this very English Summer. And thinking about Cornwall. Magical. Mystical. Beautiful and inspiring.

1 comment:

Niecey said...

I'm glad you had a good time. Your photos are gorgeous!