Thursday 17 April 2008

Getting My Hands Dirty

My darling hubby recently bought me a load of art supplies and I've been putting them to good use. It's kinda strange. Going from digital to traditional. It's usually the other way round. Although I like to think of it as truly mixed-media art in as much as I use my computer (for creating some text and patterned paper) as well as using traditional supplies. I'll photograph my efforts in the next couple of days and show them here.

After many years bringing up my kids - a job well done and one that I'd do again, I might add - it's nice to have some time for me. To truly explore my creative side. The artist in me. Both my parents are artists. My mum's a published poet and when I was a little girl she was fab at making lots of things for my Sindy dolls (not Barbie!). So creative. And I used to spend many hours watch my dad paint. He mainly used oils and acrylics as well as doing lots of sketching.

So yeah. I'm taking time to get truly creative the way I've always wanted to. Just for me. I was only 19 when I first married and had kids so this is the first time I've really had to myself. I'm blessed to be married to someone who's also an artist - more traditional - oils - whereas I'm very experimental along the collage mixed media route. Steve's so supportive and really encourages me to get into creative expression.

Oh and it means our dining room table and that part of the room (we have a through lounge/dining area) is now taken up with all my craft and art supplies. Yep!

x

1 comment:

All of my Todays said...

It must have been so nice growing up with Artists for parents. My Mum and Dad haven't got an artistic bone between them (both teachers) so how I ever ended up going to Art college is beyond me! My eldest has just opted to take Art as a GCSE so MY studio has now transformed into OUR studio. I'm planning to do it alongside him as it is years since I actually did ART as opposed to CRAFT and I am itching to get back into it - I just need that little push. x